In May 1909, shortly after his marriage to the American-born artist/painter, Adeline Oppenheim, Hector Guimard bought a plot at 122, avenue Mozart and built a fine town house.
The building included the architect’s office on the ground floor, reached through a reception gallery. The first floor consists of a dining room and sitting room in the shape of an ellipse. The third floor was equipped as a studio for Madame Guimard.
Guimard designed the entire interior: panelling, cornicing, furniture, locks, light fittings and furnishing fabrics. The furniture and panelling are made of pear wood whose soft, grain and luminosity are particularly suited to the soft, elegant lines of Guimard’s design style.
The town house was sold in 1948. Madame Guimard donated the bedroom furniture to the Musée des Beaux-arts in Lyon, the study to the Ecole de Nancy Museum and the dining room to the City of Paris.