The Western Christian World
The collections on display in the "Western Christian World" section include art objects, paintings and sculptures of religious subjects from the major historical centres of the Middle Ages and the early Renaissance: the Netherlands, Germany, France and Italy.
Our set of art objects, mainly from the Dutuit collection, is limited in number but exceptional in terms of quality: French ivory work from the 14th and 16th centuries, 13th and 14th century Mosan and Limoges champlevé enamel works, and finally medieval manuscripts and some of the first printed books.
In addition, a beautiful set of wooden sculptures from Southern Germany and Austria, a gift from Pierre Marie (1929), illustrates some of the most popular scenes and holy figures from the late Middle Ages: the Nativity of Christ, the Dormition of the Virgin, St. George, St. Sebastian and more.
- > Master of the St. Bartholomew Altarpiece - Adoration of the Child
- > Anonymous - Altarpiece : scenes from the life and Passion of Christ
- > Anonymous - Reliquary of the True Cross
- > Anonymous - Saint Paul and Saint Thomas
- > Anonymous - Virgin and Child