The 18th century
A representative selection of 18th century artworks is displayed in four rooms and a landing. The wide doors between the panelled rooms help to give the impression of a gallery. Paintings, furniture, tapestries, porcelain, watches, silverware and enamelled objects are on display here.
The paintings, which mainly belong to the French School, span the whole century, encompassing all genres: landscape (Hubert Robert), portrait (Fragonard), historical painting (David) and more.
Regarding art objects, a few pieces date back to the last years of the reign of Louis XIV. Most of the pieces display the fretwork and complications of the Rocaille style of the early years of the Louis XV period. Between this style and the style named after his successor, Louis XVI, the museum offers a fine range of Transition furniture combining the characteristics of the previous two.
The works are mostly French, in particular the Beauvais tapestries, marquetry furniture, silverware and Sèvres porcelain. They also include a wide range of German porcelain figurines, especially from Saxony, and English enamels from the second half of the century. The remarkable enamelled watches come from the three main watchmaking centres of the time, Paris, London and Geneva.
The heart of the collection is made up of pieces from the collection donated in 1921 by the American collector Edward Tuck and his wife, née Julia Stell.
- > Saint Aubin (de) - Catalogues de vente
- > Boucher - The little dog’s dance
- > David - The death of Seneca
- > Fragonard - Jérôme de La Lande
- > Greuze - Young Shepherd Holding a Flower
- > Pellegrini - Esquisse pour le plafond de la Banque Royale : Le Déchargement en bord de Seine de marchandises en provenance de la Louisiane
- > Robert - The Laundry
- > Robert - Washerwomen in a garden
- > Tiepolo - Alexander and Bucephalus
- > Vernet - The Tivoli Cascades
- > Adrien Delorme and Pierre Roussel - Chest of drawers
- > Anonymous - Sedan chair
- > Jean Moisy (clockmaker) and Jean-Claude Chambellan known as Duplessis (goldsmith) - Organ pipe clock with a monkey orchestra
- > La Croix or RVLC (Attributed to) - Combination furniture : commode with doors, secretaire in drawer, wardrobe
- > Manufacture de Beauvais - Tapestry : Psyche Led by the West Wind into the Palace of Love and Psyche Showing Her Wealth to Her Sisters
- > Sageot - « Mazarin » table desk